Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Snapshots and Lindy Hop


A day in the life of an aspiring dancer



My auditioning techniques haven’t been getting me too far lately so I’ve decided to take steps in a different direction that I’ve been thinking of for a while – the direction of commercial dance i.e getting an agent. And before I can do this I need a new dance portfolio – and more skills for my C.V.

Thursday 20th March, the day of my portfolio photo shoot, turned out to be one of those surreal days in which you go to new areas, try new activities and meet so many interesting people along the way that you feel like a completely different person. It started with a rush-hour underground trip to Victoria for a 9.15am hairdresser appointment – a surreal event in itself for me as I loathe both early mornings and haircuts. I arrived twenty minutes early in nervous anticipation, chatting to the manager for a while before my stylist arrived. My stylist, although lovely, got rather annoyed at my insisting to see her blow-dry curling efforts before she had finished. I just wanted to be sure I liked it before she painstakingly curled my whole abundant head of hair. Thankfully, she was not only lovely but very skilled and I walked out of the shop quietly confident that my hair looked better than it ever had before.

I travelled positively to my next stop of the day – which happened to be the final stop on the district line – Ealing Broadway – in other words, blooming far away! I navigated my way through the tree-lined rows of million-pound houses to find my photographer’s studio-come-apartment. I expected Titus to be either overly camp or overly American, owing to his name alone, but he was neither. A genuinely friendly guy, he guided me through the process of taking a good headshot – smiling with the eyes and leaving the rest to his highly technical camera and lighting. I commandeered his sofa as my temporary wardrobe as I had brought an array of outfits with which to create a portfolio that showed versatility, as I had been told was the aim. Titus had warned me that any movement shots may take hours to get right but the few I had planned seemed to work pretty well first time and after a couple of attempts with different camera angles I was very happy with them – maybe I’m just not much of a perfectionist. However, the two hours I had booked seemed to whizz by and so when Titus offered me an extra hour, for a fraction of what I paid for the first two, in order to finish the list of looks I had planned, I couldn’t resist. I’m very glad I didn’t as the final set of images taken outside have now become my favourites and were the most fun to shoot. Walking down the middle of the street in a floaty dress and giant sunhat with a photographer in front of me, I had a momentary sense of idealized stardom.

On a photographic high, I rushed back to Greenwich, as much as one can rush on an extended tube journey, for a two hour rehearsal that should have brought me back down to reality as I had these rehearsals twice a week. Instead my colleagues showered me with compliments on my unusually made up appearance and we danced for the first time with a projection of sunrise that we made earlier that month.

So with my hold-all of outfits still in tow I met a friend from work, took a train to another unfamiliar destination and went in search of one more new experience to round the day off nicely. I wanted to gain some new skills to my dance repertoire, to aid my chances of getting work in the commercial world, and to simply try something new. I had recently applied to a casting looking for Lindy Hop dancers, despite my closest encounter with the dance form being watching professionals perform it on Strictly, but this had encouraged me to seek out a class to give it a whirl. My friend agreed to come with me, an actress with experience in Jive dancing, I thought she’d be the perfect dance partner. We reached the Royston club feeling rather glad of each other’s company as there was no sign of a class and only a couple of men playing darts in one corner of an expansive stale-smoke-smelling bar. I asked at the bar and we were informed that the class was upstairs but it didn’t start for an hour – a classic case of a) allowing far too much time for the journey to unknown destination and b) believing what you read on a neglected website. The ballroom upstairs was much more airy and reminded me of my old town festival hall with white drapes covering the ceiling and a small stage at one end. The teacher was lovely, although I found his teaching style rather slow but apparently it was week one of a 10 week beginner programme so perhaps that was to be expected. Throughout the class we rotated partners, having been separated into men and women at the beginning, a surprising amount of old men meant that the men outnumbered the women, another rarity in my experience of any dance event. Some were had more rhythm than others but were all hilarious to watch as my friend negotiated the steps with them.
 At the end of the class the disco lights were turned on and swing music played, at which point the men came up and asked the ladies to dance – it was like stepping back in time to an era of male chivalry. I learnt a lot from a more experienced member of the group as he improvised with me although the alien concept of letting the man lead was rather difficult to stick to, especially when some over-enthusiastic partners felt the need to spin me quite forcefully no matter what part of the step pattern I was on. It was definitely a lot of fun dancing to such jolly music and I can imagine with the right partner I would love it – it’s a shame my friend and I never got to dance together due to our common gender.

So from celebrity lifestyle to old-fashioned values, today I’d got a sneak peek into lives from the past and hopefully my future in the world of show business.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment