Friday, May 23, 2014

Application, application, application


The endless process


 

Between rehearsals and pub work, I seem to spend most of my time searching for, applying to and waiting for replies from various dance companies, agencies and funding bodies. Even whilst writing this I have just heard back from one application and I am putting off starting another.
The search is generally a simple task (thanks to the good old internet) involving clicking on a link in an e-bulletin, scrolling through online audition boards or finding an opportunities page on a company website. The application process can be much more taxing with long application guidelines to read, decisions to be made on which CV version, photos or show reel to attach, other supporting video evidence to edit, upload and embed, not to mention the composing of your cover letter, proposal or personal statement/blatant self-promotional essay to get absolutely perfect.

It all gets rather monotonous and I begin to lose track of which opportunities I’ve applied for (I try to keep lists, I try). Depending on my mood I can spend hours or even days querying whether or not I should apply based on how likely I might be to succeed, how the proposed rehearsals will fit into my schedule or whether it’s something I would even enjoy being a part of. After all this contemplation it would be much more efficient to simply apply and question the details at a later stage, if of course I am fortunate enough to be granted a later stage in that particular application process.

However, it is the waiting for/lack of/content within a response to an application that can be most aggravating. I do appreciate the odd confirmation of receipt of application which I occasionally receive although a further email indicating whether my application has been successful would be wonderful too, I really don’t like to be kept in the dark. Some well-organized companies give dates on which you will hear back or if there has been an audition date published you can use that as a final deadline for correspondence. The infrequent emails marked RE: application that do land in my inbox cause a momentary flutter of excitement before the rejection message is opened, skim read and psychologically swept under the rug for safe keeping until I have a sufficient collection and am in a suitable environment to despair over them. Is a definite rejection more helpful than mystifying silence? Of course, reading that ‘you have not been selected this time’ is heartbreaking and the customary explanation that ‘the position attracted a large number of high-quality applicants’ is not particularly constructive for my future applications. However, being completely ignored implies that your application, which you may have spent considerable time on, was not worthy of casting director, choreographer or administrator’s time to add you as a recipient to a mass reply email.
 
But you mustn't start to believe that is true, you must carry on writing about all the skills and experience one has until someone gives you the opportunity to actually demonstrate it. And if it doesn't work out just remember:
 

“Defeat is not the worst of failures. Not to have tried is the true failure.”
George E. Woodberry

No comments:

Post a Comment